The Ties that Bind: Si Cong Chen ’23 on Bridging Worlds

At Webb, we are reminded of the remarkable stories that individuals have carved out. One great journey is of our Webb alum, Si Cong Chen, and how his pursuit of education forged his destiny to engineering and at Webb.

As a first-generation American, Si Cong unlocked a world of opportunities through his thirst for knowledge. He got into one of the most difficult high schools in New York State- Brooklyn Tech, and later to our competitive Webb Institute for Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, where he received a full tuition scholarship allowing him to focus on #STEM and explore his passion in sustainable engineering.

Grateful for the opportunities that he was given, Si Cong wants to ensure that others have the same access to opportunities as he does. Read more about his story here:

What’s your name, and where are you from?

My name is Si Cong Chen, and I grew up in Brooklyn, New York. I am a first-generation Asian American.

How did you get to Webb?

Before Webb, I attended Brooklyn Tech, the largest high school in NY. I always had an interest in engineering, so I decided to study Mechatronics and Robotics there. Not long after, I realized I wanted a change of pace. I still enjoyed the technical aspects of engineering, but I also desired a career with more hands-on work. After my Prospective Freshmen (PF) visit to Webb, I learned about the different winter work periods students were exposed to at an early part of their careers. From there, I was convinced this was the place for my undergraduate studies.

What attracted you to Webb?

The sense of community at Webb really drew me in. I went tree climbing for the first time when I was visiting Webb. I became good friends with my host, Jonas who was a year above me at Webb. The bonding of classmates, the beach and the serenity of Webb made me feel at home.

What are some experiences that you remember at Webb?

For homecoming one year, the student body hosted a boat race. My classmates salvaged some parts from the Freshmen Boat Building Competition earlier that month and successfully assembled the remnants into a large wooden boat suitable for nine people. Though we did not win the race against the other classes, we managed to stay afloat for the entirety of the race—I think.

Why were you interested in the company you chose at Winter Work?

I was interested in surveying since I started at Webb but had little luck finding one during the peak of Covid. After contacting a few alumni, I was finally able to get a surveying internship with Sean Murphy, an alum from 2013. I worked at ABL Group / Offshore Wind Consultants located in New York City’s Financial District. The office was comprised of three different teams: maritime, engineering design, and offshore wind. With the maritime team, I had the privilege of crawling tanks, climbing my first pigeonhole ladder, and inspecting machinery equipment with a senior surveyor.

How do you feel your Asian heritage has influenced your decision to pursue a career in engineering?

Going to Brooklyn Tech, I noticed my classmates and friends were all studying STEM, and I decided to pursue it. Naturally, I found myself inclined to explore a career in STEM. While I cannot say my parents pushed me to get into engineering, they always encouraged me and my brothers to get a good education. The environment at Tech along with my parents’ support, sparked my passion for engineering.

What are some unique experiences or challenges you faced as an Asian American in life / school?

My cultural differences at Webb were most noticeable during mealtimes. One time I brought an aloe vera beverage which is a staple in the Asian community. My peers did not understand why I was drinking that; after all, aloe vera is used as an ointment for sunburns. Some tried it and liked it…others would not take their chances. It was a funny interaction for sure. I think the food choices are difficult to get accustomed to. I grew up on Asian food, and I love it.

What role do you think Asian American engineering students play in shaping Webb’s culture and contribute to promoting diversity here?

While at Webb, I was a member of the Minority Establishment of Webb (MEOW). We would occasionally cook different foods together including bubble tea, rice balls, and sushi. During one of the sushi events, I got experimental and created Si Cong special. I coated the sushi roll rice with crushed BBQ chips for an extra crunch. Although it was *allegedly* the crowd’s least favorite, I still look back on that event with fondness. I still laugh over countless events such as this one with my fellow Webbies.

How do you hope to give back using your engineering program to your communities?

My class donated a Senior Class gift of a scholarship for need-based incoming students, and I hope to continue to encourage people of different income levels to come to Webb without worrying about room and board costs.

I want to help others who are also like me and to be able to support need-based scholarships for incoming students, ensuring that Webb remains accessible to people from all walks of life. Webb prepared me for the corporate world, and I am very thankful for the opportunities it has given me—from the winter work internships to networking opportunities with the alumni association. I hope to one day become an alum that also generously gives others a helping hand.