Webb Institute Celebrates 128th Commencement with Inspiring Keynote by Tech Entrepreneur, Diane B. Greene

GLEN COVE, NY – June 17, 2024 – Webb Institute, a leading institution for naval architecture and marine engineering, celebrated its 128th commencement ceremony this weekend, marking a significant milestone for its graduates and the maritime community. The event featured a keynote address by Diane B. Greene, renowned technology entrepreneur, co-founder, and former CEO of VMware, who shared her inspiring journey and insights on leadership, innovation, and the importance of lifelong learning.

Diane B. Greene being awarded her Honorary Doctorate Degree from Webb President, Mark Martecchini and Board Chair, Bruce Rosenblatt

In her address, Ms. Greene emphasized the power of following one’s passion and embracing curiosity. Reflecting on her own path, she recounted a pivotal moment when a professor encouraged her to pursue naval architecture at MIT, a decision that ultimately shaped her career. “That little bit of encouragement to stretch myself beyond where I imagined my capabilities was enormous in altering the course of my life,” she shared. “I still aspire to help others as that professor helped me.”

Ms. Greene’s journey through MIT was marked by a blend of rigorous academic pursuit and personal passions. “At MIT, I learned rigor and developed a new area of interest—computer science,” she said. “Meanwhile, I was having fun on the water while, unbeknownst to me, continuing to develop my leadership skills through running regattas.” She emphasized the importance of curiosity, noting, “Humans are born with innate curiosity. Over my entire career, it has remained one of the most important qualities I look for when hiring someone.”

Drawing parallels between her experience and the education at Webb Institute, Ms. Greene praised the graduates for their depth of knowledge. “I have to say the more I learn about Webb Institute, the more I see that much of the value of your education is that you’ve all gone deep,” she remarked. Sharing advice she often gives to entrepreneurs, she said, “When I advise entrepreneurs, I always remind them that they are, or need to be, the world expert in what they are building.”

President of Webb Institute, Mark Martecchini speaks at its 128th commencement

Ms. Greene also touched upon the exciting future of naval architecture, highlighting opportunities in simulation, automation, new materials, and manufacturing processes, all leading to greater sustainability. “Naval architecture today seems to have amazing opportunities…All these things will help move the world forward,” she concluded.

Webb Institute’s President, Mark Martecchini expressed his pride in the graduating class and gratitude to Diane Greene for her inspiring words. “Our graduates are set to make significant contributions to the maritime field and beyond. Diane Greene’s journey and insights have given them the inspiration and guidance to excel in their careers.”

About Webb Institute:

Webb Institute is a top-ranked institution dedicated to preparing students for successful careers in naval architecture, marine engineering, and fields beyond, with every student receiving a full-tuition scholarship. With a rigorous curriculum, hands-on internship experiences, and a strong emphasis on innovation, Webb Institute graduates are highly sought after by leading companies in the maritime industry.