Leah Sosa ’08 Teaches Reed Middle School Students About Hydrodynamics, Webb Institute

This September, Webb Alumna and Hydrodynamicist Leah Sosa ’08 visited science classes at Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, California. Sosa, who graduated from Walter Reed M.S. in 1997, shared her experiences at Webb Institute and on the job in the STEM field of Hydrodynamics.

Following are some excerpts from student responses, thanking Leah for her visit to their classes:

“Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to come talk to us! It was very cool to see what a former IHPer can do with her life and it made me think about my future. The Webb Institute seems like an amazing school with an incredible experience, and it is very helpful that it is tuition free. I also thought that it was very interesting to see one of the experiments you did. Science experiments are super fun at school, and to see them being applied to real life is awesome! Your presentation made me dream of big things to accomplish when I get older and have a job.” – Amelie Missig’18

“Your presentation showed me that if you focus on your academic career, you can go to new and unexpected places, especially if you are unsure what you want to do later in life. I was shown first-hand that, as opportunities arise, your expectations and plans can drastically change – even lead you to another country.” – Enzo Banal’18

“It really opened my eyes about thinking for my future. Like, which college I want to go to, what I should major in, and what job I want. Your section about Webb Institute made me remember that there are schools other than UCLA, Stanford, Harvard, and other popular schools. Your presentation, how you really were not sure what you wanted, reminded me of myself. I am going to research jobs and colleges to get ready.” – Caira Paredes’18

“I was fascinated by the fact that you went to a college that had waived tuition so that you would not have to pay for college. The presentation made me think about how I will soon go to visit colleges and universities, and it will only be a matter of time before I start applying for them.” – Jeffrey Kwon’18